N/A - View of the Gulf of Naples taken from Capodimonte

Napoli Fergola.png
Napoli Fergola retro.jpg
Napoli Fergola.png
Napoli Fergola retro.jpg
sold out

N/A - View of the Gulf of Naples taken from Capodimonte

0.00

A fine painting on silk attached to domed glass mounted in a gilt silver frame representing a view of the Gulf of Naples taken from Villa Gallo located at Capodimonte, inscribed on the reverse "Napoli dalla Villa Gallo a Capodimonte Francesco Fergola dipinse 1855 - Napoli 1855"

Dimension cm 6x8 - perfect condition, commensurate with age.

Francesco II Fergola (Napoli 1821-1894) Son of Salvatore and Maria Giuseppa Lebano, was born in Naples on Sept. 22. 1821, and already in 1838 he entered the Royal Institute of Arts. Many have confused him with the namesake uncle, so that often is mentioned only one Fergola Francesco. He distinguished himself from his uncle by a more modern way to set the landscape and closer proximity to the school of Posillipo. He was influenced by Giacinto Gigante, whose took in second marriage (after the death of his first wife, Luigia Matecena) the daughter Laura in 1854. He participated in the official exhibitions that were held in the Borbonic Museum since 1839, when he exhibited "The island of Galli taken from above the Conti in Sorrento" in 1841 he presented a "View of Caserta with the Real Palace taken by San Leucio". Perhaps it was also present at the exhibition of 1843, which was recorded in the catalog "Francesco Fergola" without any other specifications, such as the author of a "View of the Quarry" - now lost - rewarded with the silver medal of first class (Ibid.). The subject close to those favored by the giant figure better in the catalog of Francesco II and in that of his uncle Francesco I.
In 1845 he participated at the Borbonic exhibition with "The view of Lacco in Ischia" and in 1848 with a painting of the "Palace of Caserta seen from the San Leucio mountain", which appears in a proffer to purchase on behalf of the government for 100 ducats; that same year also won a silver medal first class. In 1855 he exhibited a watercolor, Proximity of Sorrento, who might identify with Capri from the Sorrento coast (Naples, Royal Palace), since it corresponds to the description of the painting made by Bozzelli. (1856, pp. 93 ff.). These speak of a view from the bottom of Massalubrense with Capri and welcomes the pictorial quality entrusted to an "ingenious mixture of color and chiaroscuro." In 1859 F. even took part in the Borbonic exhibition with a watercolor "The Gulf of Naples with stormy sea and steamship". The same phase belong also a small, delicate watercolor with a fantasy landscape (Naples, coll. Priv.) And an oil with a tasteful landscape posillipista (Rome, coll. Priv.), Who was part of an album donated between 1852 and 1855 by Ferdinand II to his wife Maria Teresa of Habsburg-Lorraine (Picone, 1994).

After the unification of Italy, the presence of F. was recorded in the exhibitions of Neapolitan Promoter: in 1862 with the watercolor "Il castello d'Ischia" in 1863 with two other watercolors, "Marina of Saint Lucia" and "Naples by sea". Probably the latter can be identified with those, dated 1862, at the Expo 1985 dedicated to the Neapolitan gouaches of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries (catal., Pp. 160, 211, 213). The long and narrow format has led to the hypothesis that may have overdoors function; on the other hand, the remarkably measures could also be explained by their destination at the Borbonic exhibition. Even as a watercolorist F. took part in 1877 at the National Expo in Naples ("A moonlight at Capri" and the study "In the woods of Caserta" ). His last appearances is finally detected in Neapolitan Promoters of 1881, with a view of Capo di Sorrento, and 1883, with S. Maria Portosalvo. To its later phase probably belongs also a Marina di Capri (Naples, coll. Priv., Publ. In Greek - Picone - Valente, 1993, pl. N. N.). A watercolor with Fishermen on shore Bacoli (Naples, Museo di Capodimonte) has been exposed in the last exhibition dedicated to Gigante (Martorelli, 1993, p. 38).

Francesco Fergola II died in Naples on March 23, 1894.

Add To Cart